6.15.2009

The Race



“Therefore, since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” Hebrews 12:1

In our town, there’s a very prestigious race where only the chosen few are invited to join. The organizers and sponsors are not to look down at because their reputation for being strict and their high standards cannot be swayed. The organizer started calling the prominent people in our town, people who are regarded in their field of expertise…some are teachers, some are businessmen, some are managers, some are consultants…prominent people coming from various walks of life. I wanted so much to be part of the race, not for fame, not for the prize..but with the ultimate goal in mind---to make my Father proud. The campaign for the most prestigious race was in full blast, but I still wasn’t invited. Then came the last day of invitation. Still no call. I heard it was presented to the major sponsors and organizers when they decided to disqualify one participant in the ladies category. They said the lady is overqualified and should be one of the organizers. Upon hearing the news, I was ecstatic! I got all excited and I got down on my knees, crying, praying..praying it would be me..i promised my Father I would be the bestest runner in the whole wide world and a ton of other promises I could think of! Days passed..some friends told me I was being considered to be the replacement..but there was no confirmations to the heresays..until that blessed day...ohh that blessed Sunday when it was confirmed and was welcomed. I figured my Father did something to influence the decision, He must have whispered to the ear of the organizers and said “Jinsel’s good..I think she is the best candidate.”

And so, the race started, I started god, but I did not see a small rock in the track..i fell..but I stood up and ran like hell..i fell again..this time I hurt myself and could not get up that easily..another one of those small rocks caused my fall. “Why didn’t they clear the path before the race?!?” I saw blood on my knees and scratches on my elbows. I stood up, tried to run but the wounds hurt and I think I sprained an ankle. I pretended to be okay but I fell..facedown. The other runners are now way ahead of me now. What if I just quit..just slip away from the track and disappear? I was about to walk away but I heard my Father’s encouraging voice saying,
“Stand up my child, stand up.”
“But I’m hurt. I’m weak. I can’t do it anymore Father,” then I burst into tears.
“You can do it my child. Let me help you get up.” He picked me up and wiped away my tears and said, “Go…” I looked Him in the eyes. He nodded. I ran, not as fast as the other runners but I will finish this race and make my Father proud.

0 comments: